Thursday, May 23, 2013

Bicycle Propelled Tree Service; History and Quest.

Yesterday was a historic day in recent Work Bike experiments because I hauled my equipment to a real job; but I actually did my first successful work; running a Bicycle Propelled Tree Service 18 years ago in Germantown Tennissee. That was an experiment too; but I have no doubt that I could have sold my truck and chipper and started a successful Bicycle Propelled Tree Service then; had not other priorities taken front stage. So now 18 years later I'm experimenting again: First with a regular bike, then with a cargo bike and now with Electric Assist. Yesterday was the first time I actually hauled the equipment to a job and I could have done the whole job except for the fact that I had to haul the brush. I started the job with the equipment I brought with the Bike but because of the hauling I had to go back to using my car and trailer. What is so amazing is that 17 years ago I invented a very small chipper that only weighed 160 lb and it was designed to be be pulled by a Bicycle! You can see it in the 1996 picture. It turned out to be too loud and maintainance was too much so I turned to burning brush; which is so much more natural and peaceful. I can't burn the brush on every job so I have to load it on a trailer and haul it to a burn sight and this is impractical with a bike. So I need to invent one more thing; a brush burning trailer for my bike. As rediculous as that sounds; it is perfectly feasable and should be cheap to make. With this; a Bicycle Propelled Tree Service will be a Reality. PS: I want to say something about the electric assist that makes it possible to do what I'm doing with my Bicycle. There is no way it would work with all these hills. My Golden Motor; Magic Pie 3 has adequate power but it has another really important feature that makes it safe; Regenerative Braking. I have it set at 50% but I'm planning to set it at 100%. Not only does it help immensly to control downhill speed and stopping but it also puts power back into the battery. This makes so much sense! It also has cruise control and I use it to conserve battery power. I set it at a minimum; just enough so I can still help pedal. Today I'm going to see if I can make a round trip of 22 miles to the store and back. LL

No comments:

Post a Comment