Thursday, May 16, 2013

People reading this blog may not know but 12 days ago I got a 48v 1000w ebike kit with a 48v 10ah battery from Golden Motor to put on my Giant Superbike. 3 or 4 days later it was on but it wasn't charging up and kept dieing. I notified my rep and went online to Endless Sphere and at the recommendation of the rep I took the battery apart, bought a multi meter and tested all the cells to check for a dead cell and was having fits and not having fun generally. So this Monday my rep talked to one of their engineers and he wanted me to take pictures of the charger. It was from a picture of the end of the charger that he realized the switch was in the 230 volt position and not the 115 volt. I didn't even know that it had a switch! So I switched it and instead of only going up to 50 volts, like before; it went up to almost 58 volts! Evidently; they were starting a big Holiday in China and the worker who shipped it was in a hurry to get out the door and forgot to switch it correctly for the US. So I had to put the battery back together; which wasn't that easy and put it on the bike and went for a test ride. During the test ride it died 3 times but yesterday I felt confident enough to try taking it for a ride to town. I wasn't sure how it would go but I set off about 2:30 in the afternoon and rode 5 miles through the hills into Hardy from Cherokee Village. I'm happy to report that it didn't die once. On the way into town I was really easy on the throttle and only used about 1/3 and put it on cruise and pedaled hard up the hills in high gear. I was real glad to get to my friend's welding shop and I charged it up while I visited. Charging took about 25 minutes. From there I rode the rest of the way into town; using River Road to avoid traffic. I just put it on full throttle cruise for the 1/2 mile along the river and it was going about 25 mph I think. Then I turned and crossed the bridge over Spring River. My friend who owns a store wasn't there but I visited the lady who was there. Then I went to the Gazebo at Loberg Park and plugged in the charger and visited some people while it charged. The green light came on after about 15 minutes and I headed home. I don't think it took me more than 15 minutes to get there. A big long hill out of Hardy was my first challenge but at full throttle and pedaling hard I made it up and turned off to Cherokee Village. There were 4 more big hills after that but it went up just fine with hard pedaling. When I got home I checked the voltage and it was 52.5v. The battery holds 57.5v and 10ah so I only used 5 volts and maybe 3.5 amp hours. Now I'm starting to like this machine. I got a post from Bill Nye the science guy this morning and he said that the chemicals are getting organized when the battery is new and the battery keeps getting better and better. He also said that a full charge is only 25 cents and this bike kit is really good quality and will last 6 years. I'm stoked and I want to ride but it's threatening rain and I'm not sure about riding it in the rain yet. It's probably ok but I don't want to take chances when I'm just starting to have fun. So; thank you Golden Motor for making a good machine and I'll do some more testing and report back to my peeps. eze

No comments:

Post a Comment